Trying The Knot

In my recent wanderings of liquor store shelves for as-yet untried Irish whiskeys I came across "The Knot." Its Gaelic labeling and embossing and prominent Celtic knots (hence the name) call out its Irish origin (Bailieboro, Co. Cavan). But the word whiskey is nowhere to be seen.  Out of curiosity I picked up a bottle.

It looked different from the boldfaced "PROOF 100 PROOF" on the label to the dark caramel coloring to the sweet vanilla nose. It's pleasant enough though a bit too sweet and heavily flavored for me. It's more like a Celtic Southern Comfort, though I say that based on some very hazy memories of drinking SoCo long ago. My first thought was that The Knot would make an excellent drink for adult female-type people who don't really like whiskey.

So far my initial hunch has been spot on. Whiskey drinkers (mostly, but not exclusively, guys) think it's "interesting" but stick with the whiskey. But nearly every woman to whom I've introduced The Knot has loved it. They keep refilling their own glasses, and a few have even left the house with the half- (or more) consumed bottle, one cradling it affectionately in her arms on the way out. In short, it's been a big hit with the ladies as an aperitif, as an after-dinner drink or as a casual cocktail.

So What's With The Marketing?
The Knot is one of several well-known brands of spirits produced by William Grant & Sons USA, the American subsidiary of William Grant & Sons, Ltd., an award-winning independent family-owned distiller based in Glasgow, Scotland.  William Grant & Sons Ltd. is one of the largest privately-owned businesses in the U.K., employs over 1,000 people and has sales in 187 countries. Some of its best-known brands are Glenfiddich, The Balvenie and Clan MacGregor scotches, Hendrick's gin (a personal favorite), Frangelico liqueur, and Sailor Jerry rum. The company's U.S. marketing has a cheeky, hip, edgy quality that's fun, interesting and well executed. The copy on the back label of The Knot will give you a sense of what I mean:
"By cracking this seal of The Knot you accept that drinking is never to be taken lightly and promise to act in a responsible fashion -- not like some blithering idiot. You promise to drink The Knot straight up in a proper shot glass, rather than mixing it in some sort of novelty, tiny umbrella, fruit fiasco. And finally, you vow that you will never drink to anything that you are not prepared to go through with. If, in any way, you are not willing to abide by these conditions, by all means, please refrain from opening this bottle."
The reference to the shot glass seemed odd.  It was the first sign that my experiences with The Knot were wildly out-of-sync with the company's marketing program. The next sign came via my sister, a fan of The Knot, after she checked out and directed me to the website at www.shotoftheknot.com.

The film noir theme of the website includes a number of Flash videos featuring a rather worn-looking, fedora-clad, 55+-ish, ostensibly Irish fellow sitting head-on at a dark bar. He also can act as a "virtual drinking buddy" who will messily pour you a shot while admonishing you (dropping the bleeped-out F-bomb 9 times in 20 seconds) to drink like a man and not like the "blithering idiot" referenced on the bottle (in character it should be pronounced "eejit.").  Among other things he cleans a shot glass with a spit and a wipe, pours a shot for an unhappy-looking, notably un-handsome, heavy-set woman sitting next to him, and tells you that having a shot of The Knot next to your light beer will make you look "less girlie."

The website is all in good fun, but I feel like I'm, uh, missing something. I'm a bit (or more) beyond the target demographic for this -- many distillers are aiming at 25-year-old males. And many younger drinkers favor the sweet stuff having been through their bottled vodka-whatever fruit cooler phase. Spirits marketers also have the challenge of overcoming the perception among younger consumers that liquor is their "father's drink." Now I'm big on drinking, and swearing, and even enjoy doing shots. But I still am having a hard time understanding the logic (aside from that it looks gritty and "cool") of using as a brand image a sodden, foul-mouthed guy dressed like somebody's father in a dive bar to get you to drink (responsibly, of course -- says so on the label) by pounding down shots of 100 proof liqueur like, well, a blithering eejit.

But my subjective observations are only that.  And while I may not get the current marketing -- it's only available in nine U.S. markets at the moment -- I may have stumbled on a secondary market for The Knot among middle-aged females. Go figure. In any case, it's not a whiskey. But it a drink with a purpose, either as a shot drink for the 20-somethings or a cocktail for the sweet drinkers. And it feeds the craic, so that's a good thing.

Try it and let me know what you think.

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• 12/3/2008 11:49 PM J Matthew Cahill wrote:
    Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who bought this garbage believing it to be Irish whiskey, and I'm seriously amused to see your research that it not only tests higher among women (given their "real man" marketing message), but is in fact produced by an American-Scottish company. I've posted the letter I just submitted through their comment form (which, by the way, doubles as signing up for the mailing list) along with a reference to this article here: http://jmatthew.tumblr.com/post/62934124/if-i-had-made-this-letter-into-one-fifty-page-sentence

Fellow whiskey-lover,
    --J. Matthew Cahill
    1. 12/12/2008 4:45 PM Rich Nagle wrote:
      JMC: Loved your comments about The Knot, punctuated most succinctly in your postscript. I avoided the hangover by not finishing the one and only glass I've ever poured for myself (I graciously, and quickly, offered it to my wife). But Jayzuz, the ladies sure do like it. Strictly out of a sense of fair play, I'm planning on trying Celtic Crossing (a Castle Brands offering) sometime. I expect a similar outcome though. Not a fan of liqueurs.
      Cheers,
      Rich

• 3/1/2009 8:21 AM Patrick Scanlan wrote:
    Hi, I thought it was Irish base malt whiskey marketed through Grants in the U.S. Anyway, as owner of an Irish bar in the north of Spain with the world's largest collection of Irish whiskeys, I have asked American friends of mine to pick me up a bottle. Guess I will add it to the quirky section. Slainte !!
  • 6/18/2009 5:38 PM charles doyle wrote:
    I liked your write-up.I happen to like the knot.I have it in my tea.I was in ordering a bottle of Potcheen.The owener said to try this.He said for 100% it is a good sipping spirit.he was right.but all the same love it in my tea.and for the record I'm in my mid 50's
  • 6/24/2009 3:06 PM Scott Fotheringham wrote:
    Great post,
    I bought this garbage on the recommendation of a friend. I, like you, couldn't even manage to finish a single glass. I'm half tempted to give this bottle back to my buddy as punishment, but perhaps I'll give it to my cousin. She drinks too much Yukon Jack. The Knot is every bit as horrible as YJ. She will probably love it.
    1. 11/15/2012 8:33 AM Chris Sagliano wrote:
      Hard to believe you can call this garbage, it's not whiskey but a liquer and should be drank as such. Couldn't even finish a glass? Poppy cock!!
  • 9/17/2009 10:12 PM TRUTH wrote:
    Listen folks, don't make the same mistake I did and see this fancy bottle embossed with "made in Ireland" in Gaelic sitting in the Irish Whiskey section of a liquor store and think that's what it is. NO WHERE on the bottle does it say it is Whiskey or even flavored as such.

What it IS, is a liqueur which is a different process entirely.
    Know what you're getting. It's 100 Proof so after a few you'll forget it sucks. Probably easier going down for most than a real Whiskey (of lesser price. This shit was expensive.)

Though the label discourages using it mixed with anything else, I could see it being used to make some designer shot or drink (think Crème brûlée maybe?) so I'll give it that chance. And it's better than a lot of other awful ideas for liqueurs I've seen out there.
  • 10/27/2009 8:19 PM Dave Judd wrote:
    I'd have to say the Knot might mislead a bit in its appearance, but I would not relegate it the rubbish status. It's one to have around in spectrum of spirits for the right occasion. Just don't call it whiskey. Some nights are Redbreast, some are for Jack, some for Booker's and there's a spot for the Knot. And Mr. Doyle is right - goes well with tea. It does go over well with the ladies for a 100 proof liqueur. It priced reasonably to boot. It's a novelty drink that is far more tolerable than the lot of them. It's not a whiskey, so if you're in the mood for a nice sip - move on. If you're out to try something different, or have a gathering of mixed drinkers, it may make for a pleasant surprise.
    1. 2/20/2012 2:19 PM John P wrote:
      Recently I was sent on a mission to procure spirits appropriate for the memorial party for my late and beloved mother-in-law (maiden name Kennedy). Whilst picking up the requisite Jameson, Tullamore Dew etc, I saw this stuff I'd never heard of on sale. I read the label which convinced me to give it a try so I bought it. It surprised me that it was not proper whiskey, though to its credit it taught me to try new things and to read labels better. Anyway, it reminds one most of Drambuie. Frankly I rather liked it for the two small glasses of I downed before moving on to proper spirit in the form of Jameson, the taste of which was greater appreciated after "The Knot". All said, "The Knot" was the first bottle emptied at the hoolie and though not what I had expected, I'd buy it again- but it's not whiskey. I have to agree with the writer above that the stuff should have a place on the shelf.
      1. 12/18/2012 7:13 AM matthew wrote:
        AGREED...Great commentary
  • 11/24/2009 11:26 AM Harold Nads wrote:
    Love it.
  • 12/2/2009 10:41 AM al wrote:
    No it's not a whisky or even a whiskey. But, personally I love it
    1. 12/2/2009 11:17 AM Rich Nagle wrote:
      Many folks do, and that's why I usually keep a bottle on hand. Those that love it, really love it. Those that don't have the happy problem of lots of other choices.

• 12/27/2009 9:54 PM Brett wrote:
    Hate it, Hate it, Hate it. The first time I did some shots in a bar I became slightly belligerent. That's something I don't do when I drink. The next few times I did shots it gave me nightmares. I don't know whats in this Knot but I am staying away from it.
  • 1/27/2010 8:57 PM Kevin wrote:
    The Knot deserved a try after reading the label. Your first hit is a surprise.
    But, man, this is the bomb for dem gals!
    It now goes up on the shelf next to the B&B, but I like it better for it's 100 proof immediacy. On the rocks, fireplace, made in the shade.
  • 2/24/2010 4:17 PM Tom Seymour wrote:
    Ahhhhh... you see gents, The Knot follows in the footsteps of Celtic Crossing and Irish Mist. Simply a cordial, no more, no less. The fact it does not say Whiskey on its label should forewarn you.

An Irish Whiskey, no - not even close. Though it is made with Irish Whiskey. It fits the bill when a sugar fix is called for.

Better off with a snifter and a splash o'water in my Bushmills 21.

Irish Only!
    Tom Seymour
  • 3/7/2010 4:37 PM Don Rey wrote:
    With a bit of water and ice it makes a nice cordial type drink and imparts a warmth much needed this winter in the northeast
  • 9/17/2010 3:40 PM Tommy wrote:
    Just bought a bottle. It was right in there on the shelf cheek by jowl with all the Irishes, and it fooled me, I admit.

Got home and poured one. Smells funny, but give a swig...What the hell is this? Way sweet and strange, for Irish. Not so sweet for what it is, I guess.

Between the sugar and the ethyl (I hope) alcohol, it definitely makes one thirsty; not sure if I'm thirsty for this, though.
  • 10/21/2010 11:39 AM Susan wrote:
    From a family of Irish whiskey appreciators, I saw this on the shelf today next to Wild Geese and Irsh Soldiers whiskey (curious about that one too), but noticed right away The Knot WAS NOT Irish whiskey, so I asked the proprietor about it. He said not as sweet as Celtic Crossing, and compared it to Captain Morgan spiced rum, having some added spice and flavors, he said. Anxious to try it tonight, based on everyone's comments I'm curious how I come down on it. And to the guys - I love Irish whiskey and drink it straight - so not all women need a sweet drink. Here's to the variety out there. Slainte'
  • 10/30/2010 10:41 PM Barry Shannahan wrote:
    Susan, must try the Wild Geese! Is it the round bottle or the rectangle? I've had the round bottle twice; look very forward to the other as it's $90 here. Tried a dram of it in a bar in Grand Rapids, Mi. $14.50 a drink. Very nice! Cannot wait to get a bottle of my own. Getting married in 2 weeks and have dropped MANY hints as to what would be a perfect gift. Bet I get one!
  • 11/29/2010 10:27 PM JD wrote:
    My friends all made fun of me for buying Jameson all the time. They said I was too poor to buy expensive whiskey. So I bought some Yukon Jack (it was in the whiskey section) It was not whiskey. It sucked. Then I went back to the liquor store and bout this "The Knot" shit. It was just as horrible. I think its a sign to stop drinking. Both are disgusting. And now Im too broke to buy some Jameson. Can I mix this shit with anything that will make it tolerable?
  • 11/29/2010 10:43 PM John Z wrote:
    Could not finish my first 2 fingers!!! It's a real travesty to market this as anything to do with Irish whiskey.

My first sip of enlightenment was Paddy on my 21st (46 now). Powers is a regular and thought this might be interesting. Thanks for your site to confirm this is a 'fuzzy navel' sweetie for someone other than one who likes good distillation. My in-laws distill amazing drink @ country house in e-europe. The Knot goes to the back of the cabinet for cooking or girlie drinks.
  • 12/10/2010 12:01 PM Al wrote:
    The Knot doesn't sound like anything I'd like. I do have a problem where I'm staring at a recipe I'm expected to make that calls for a cup of Knot. Think I'd be able to substitute a cup of Old Bushmills or Tullimore DEW?
    1. 12/13/2010 7:04 AM Rich Nagle wrote:
      No reason why you couldn't substitute though I'm not sure how losing the flavoring and sweetness of The Knot would shift the recipe. The Knot is a grain alcohol liqueur -- it's NOT a whiskey -- so you might be better off trying other liqueurs. A halfway point, more or less, might be Irish Mist which contains actual whiskey in the liqueur mix. One other possibility is to use The Knot in the recipe and pour yourself a TD or Bushmills while you're cooking to ease your anxiety over using The Knot.  Just a thought. Bon sláinte-tif!
  • 1/2/2011 8:24 PM Tim wrote:
    OK, I haven't had an interest to drink whiskey since highscool. I like finer sipping tequillas, so I'm not afraid of the bite of alcohol, but this was, well pretty damn good on the rocks at a new years party. So if your here reading this is likely because you've tried some already and it peaked you interest enough to do a little research. Feedback at our party was just as this blog, and the owner describe; my brother a true whiskey drinker labeled it "different" everyone else (including me) loved it. I guess you can defintely say though, it's "Knot Whiskey"
  • 2/9/2011 5:53 PM Rich G wrote:
    Stop all of this nonsense. Dave Judd wrote the best description of the Knot. It is meant to be on the shelf and should share space with your Bushmills, Balvenie and Woodfords Reserve. In a glass with a cube of ice or two, it is a decent sip and provides a nice little change of pace from your traditional single-malts, small-batch bourbons and Irish whiskies. It definitely grows on you. We all need to stop being "snobs" when it comes to our favorite libation. If someone puts an ice cube in their red wine, so what. We are all seeking the same place anyway. Salute!
    1. 2/10/2011 9:24 AM Rich Nagle wrote:
      Fair enough, Rich.  I keep a bottle of The Knot around myself, but I place it alongside the Celtic Crossing, Southern Comfort, Kahlua or Irish Mist -- the liqueurs in other words. I don't prefer the stuff myself as it -- like most liqueurs -- is too sweet and flavored for me. That's my preference, but many folks do like it on the rocks and in that regard it's an enjoyable cocktail. My problem, if you want to call it that, is that it's confused with whiskey. It's not. Not even close.  When you're trying to educate people about whiskey/whisky it only muddles things. It's hard enough getting people to understand the differences between single malts, blends, pot still and other variations. In the end, I completely agree about "seeking the same place." After all, it's all about the craic. Sláinte, Rich
  • 3/12/2011 1:31 AM Joey wrote:
    I just had bought the bottle from this liquor store next to my job. It looked great from what the label said but I guess appearances aren't everything because I bought it and when I got home I just can't find myself to liking it at all. I'm a person who like strong stuff but this isn't all that strong and it has a nasty after taste.
  • 4/28/2011 10:10 PM Richard Brogley wrote:
    I use to drink Jack Daniels but when I had my first taste of this smooth
    ,perfect REAL IRISH whisky I will only purchase this brand.When I go out I will have 2-3 shot's before I leave to go and all I'll have is beer. And when I'm home having friend's over we start first thing is a shot from them and guzzle for me .I intend to visit Ireland in the near future and I can only hope I'm invited for swig or 2 or 3 or more . Thank You for your perfect brand of REAL IRISH WHISKY.Thank You RICHARD BROGLEY.
    1. 8/13/2011 10:00 PM Peter R wrote:
      Haha, you must be a marketing guy for The Knot. I'd love to see you go to Ireland and try to pass it off as whiskey of any kind.
  • 5/16/2011 10:03 PM Zook wrote:
    I had fond memories of the knot from late nights at my favorit water hole, but hadn't had a taste in quite a while. I'm really a beer guy; mostly IPAs and Pale Ales and such, not that light American lager crap.

Anywho! Over the past year a friend of mine had turned me on to Scotch and today I had ventured to purchase my very on first bottle. I was 90% sure I was going to snag a bottle of The Glenlivet 12 which is one of the few I know I like, but couldn't decide. In scanning the shelves I noticed The Knot sitting there and having remembered my fondness of shots at The Looking Glass prior decided to scratch the Glenlivet this time and opt for The Knot.

Ugh. bad move. Definitely not a good/nice sipping drink. I still think it's rather tasty for a shot, but- /shudder If you're looking for a good whiskey or scotch avoid at all costs..
  • 5/22/2011 7:16 PM Rich H wrote:
    The Knot fills an important niche in my liquor cabinet. I drink it when I feel like sipping something while I smoke a cigar. I used to sip some whiskey, but I always felt the cigar took something away from the taste...and who wants to waste a nice whiskey? The sweetness of the Knot allows it to stand up to even a less than mild cigar.
  • 7/14/2011 9:39 PM Don wrote:
    Bought it mainly because of the price. Wasn't sure whether it was Irish Whiskey, but thought I'd give it a try. I must say it's pretty darn good. But then, I like liqueurs and The Knot is a liqueur, not a whiskey. And it is 100 proof, so I can't say I'm disappointed. I can see why the ladies would like it, though I personally don't get their marketing strategy. By the way, one of the markets it's available in is little old Morton, Illinois. Go figure.
  • 8/12/2011 9:35 PM David Craun wrote:
    I get to blame my father in law for this one. He bought it, not me. I can't wait to get home to the real thing. This stuff BLOWWWS. Sugared, artificially flavored, caramel coloring added.....sucks.

Tastes like cheap rum and bad vanilla extract.
  • 8/13/2011 9:57 PM Peter R wrote:
    I've mistakenly bought this TWICE thinking it was a new scotch since they freaking stock it in the scotch section. I now have 2 bottles of this crap in storage and I can't find any other way to drink it other than just a shot. I can't find anything that mixes well with it, so I'd love some suggestions so that I didn't waste like $50
  • 2/27/2012 1:54 AM Travis wrote:
    Went to a buddies house the other night to smoke cigars and, as is our ritual, most of the guests brought a bottle of liquor. I decided to go with The Knot because of the way it looked, the price point (not too high, not too low) and for the fact that it was in the Irish Whisky section (although, as many have noted, it doesn't have that term on the bottle - bad on me).

I arrived after most and, as such, they already had poured themselves something: Black Label, Willett and I think one guy was drinking rum. So I was alone in taking the first drink of The Knot and I immediately regretted it. After registering my disgust to my buddies I tried another drink but that was all I could handle. I poured the rest out on a plant (poor plant, unless, I guess, if it was a female plant) and poured something else.

Fortunately, I have some pretty good friends and they all tried The Knot. After expressing varied degrees of dislike we all came to the conclusion that this was not a good whisky and, as I have subsequently learned, that's because it isn't a whisky.

Shame on me and shame on the store where I bought it from. They shouldn't have put it in the whisky section. But after reading this great post I don't feel too bad seeing as at least a few others have made the same mistake.
  • 3/19/2012 8:28 AM lisa wrote:
    Bought this for my off the boat irish friend. He loved it, drank almost the whole bottle. He is a whiskey drinker so it can't be too bad,
  • 3/30/2012 1:43 AM Seaumas Barclay wrote:
    So you don't like it. Siddown and we'll partake of some good Jameson's 18 and I hope yer buyin' because I'm thanking you in advance. I agree the ladies love it. They'll, of course, find it in the "Liquers" section next to the Marie Brizzard and Chambord orb. Or, they may decide to practice their native penchant for spousal theft by walking off with their loving husbands' half-a-bottle of The Knot. How to tame the Knot: Take one Scotch glass and add one shotofknot. Next, take and add one shot of Spiritus Polish Vodka (151 proof) and stir. Don't smoke. Put aside a glass of water sucked up from the Charles. Lift up a prayer for Cardinal O'Brien, then sip this MIT cursed concoction. If you live, you will blog me saying so and I will try one out myself, then head back to park St. Station to recline on a bench 'neath the golden dome of the State House. Life's just too short I tell you.
  • 5/27/2012 3:48 PM stef wrote:
    This stuff is great in coffee or as an after dinner drink is fine. I love how you real men think your judgement and opinion actually matter. Cant keep it on the shelf here. Reccomend trying it at least once, the only opinion that matters is your taste.
  • 2/17/2013 1:24 PM Barney wrote:
    I had this recently and was surprised I really liked whiskey on the rocks! Now it all makes sense. Several years ago I had a similar experience with Guinness at a very authentic Irish pub. As someone who doesn't care for beer - especially anything dark are really "beery," I had one of their recommended concoctions that included a shot of something in the Guinness, and I liked it. I was all proud of myself for drinking a "real" beer... until I read on the back of a menu the description of the concoction I'd liked: "very popular with the ladies." Awesome. I'm a man in his late 40s, but where alcoholic beverages I apparently have the palate of a woman.
  • 3/17/2013 1:32 PM Shamus Wolf wrote:
    It's St. Paddy's Day and the girls and I are having a lot of fun with The Knot.
  • 5/8/2013 12:11 PM Patrick wrote:
    I respect the article just read, though I am inclinde to disagree with some of the opinoins concerning the taste. It has the complexity of a fine burbon, and is fast becoming a favorite for me and my friends. While Jameson and Talamore Dew along with various itterations of Bushmills are pleasing, the know has a taste that is slightly different each sampling. I have found it only in the Chicago market, but have introduced it to many friends in Salt Lake City. They are not all mormon, and even the mormon crowd have many socially redeeming qualities. This spirit is enjoyed by friends in Texas as well. The marketing thought is goofy, a lot of images of old Irish looking types in Wife beaters. bearly making the shot glass as they pour the elixer all over the bar. Ought to market this up scale, it will catch on. I realize purists will object but the new taste and offering might waken those who dismiss Whiskey and Irish Whiskey to a lesser stature from Scotch. Although one must tip the hat to Cigar Single Malt beverages as a great option for the palate.
  • 6/7/2013 8:36 PM Paul in NJ wrote:
    I, too, found this among the whiskey section, and was surprised to find that it was a "whiskey" with a vanilla tone to it. Wait, wha-a-a-t?

That said, it's found a place on my shelf. I find it a pleasant change from DEW - my current favorite - and a fine summer sip.
  • 8/24/2013 12:49 PM ann dremman wrote:
    People, it says LIQUER right on the label!! Also it does not say WHISKEY anywhere. So you're comparing apples to string beans.
  • 9/15/2013 3:37 PM Frank wrote:
    Just bought a bottle after not wanting to spend an extra 7 bucks on my love which is good ole bushmills. Sickeningly sweet smelling, but does make for a decent shot. But am worried about hangover. What I'd like to do is stuff a rag in the bottle and lob at their corp office for a real example of an Irish car bomb. This should not be marketed within ten yards of the real Irish whiskey section.
  • 12/31/2013 7:48 PM Ashley wrote:
    As a girl who quite enjoys a nice whiskey, and am a huge fan of Jameson's I find The Knot to be quite good. It is smoother when served cold but warn it has the same bite as any other liqueor, though several of you are right, it does not say "whiskey" on the bottle, but in the end does it really matter? If it tastes good then go with it and stop analyzing.
  • 2/26/2014 9:44 AM Rex wrote:
    Well, crap. My first bottle of The Knot is on the UPS truck heading my way as I type. I wanted to try something different, and it came with a 90+ review. After reading the comments, I am pretty sure now that I bought another clinker. Maybe my wife will like it and the old girl will get frisky.
  • 3/10/2014 6:48 PM Nina Swan wrote:
    So...came by this the same way you all did--picking it up in the liquor store because I thought I'd try something other than Jameson's. I poured a couple of fingers, sipped, and thought, awfully sweet for whiskey. This isn't one of those honey-flavored monstrosities, is it? Actually, it kind of reminds me of Drambuie, and ice makes it a bit better, but it's too sweet on its own for this lass. I had to laugh at the back label: mixing it with fruit juice would just make it undrinkable.

However: I did still have a bit of Jameson's, so I added an equal measure. That made it quite pleasant and buttery. So if you're trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the bottle, try mixing it with something a bit stronger (though I can just hear the chorus of "And waste good whiskey?"). (I think one reason people are repelled by it is that they poured it expecting whiskey but didn't get whiskey--it would be kind of like putting a forkful of chocolate cake in your mouth and discovering that it was actually cleverly disguised hamburger. You might like hamburger, but when you were expecting chocolate cake--eww, gross--might even just put you off hamburger permanently).

That said, I doubt I'll be buying The Knot again after I've finished this bottle.